Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Career Strategy

I recently accomplished my first major goal for my career and this was acquiring an internship at a financial company, in this case Smith Barney.

Right now I plan to do a good job at it and network for the next several months until I graduate in December.

After that I will try get a job as an FAA or a Financial Adviser Associate. This is like a training program for Financial Adviser and you get paid a salary as well while trying to build a book. In addition to that I will acquire the necessary licenses that I need.

Hopefully if thats working out well, I will get a job as Financial Adviser either at the same place or any other firm with a well known name. At this point I will hopefully have some clients already and I will continue to attain more clients so that when I'm no longer getting paid a salary, I'll be able to make a good living off commission only. What I like about it is that you are in business for yourself.

When I do that for several years and I have money to throw around, I will invest in some kind of business or an idea, but this is definitely not within the next 5 years, so I don't know what exactely its going to be.

4 comments:

iamdavidz said...

Interning at Smitth Barney is already a huge step and this can help open many opportunities which you would NEED to follow through. Right now, you would need to work efficiently and to prove that you are an asset to the company. Networking is definitely a good idea, however get to know the people who can actually help.

Marina Kaufman said...

It is great that you set up your short term goals. I believe that by making small steps you ll achive more in a long run.
Smith Barney is a great company, and I think it offers a lot of good career paths. I did an internship myself this summer at AXA Equitable. I liked it, the only thing that i m not crazy about is that they hedge against their own products instead of the whole market which makes the career in financial field less exciting.
But anyway, I want to add that I really like your choice of becoming an advisor. Here your commissions depend on you,which means that you really rely on yourself and your efforts, at the same time you have a lot of independence and that s whay i strive for if you read my profile.
I wish you the best of luck!

Mitch Sai Wing Lau said...

WOW you have samiliar goal as me as a financial advisor. Also you got a good an internship at Smith Barney is a very good staring point.
Anyway besides FAA, do you have any othe plans? and what kind of business you want to own?

CMT Corp said...

I think becoming an FA is a great idea. Especially with the baby boomers retiring. Someone is going to have to manage there nest eggs.

Good Luck!!